Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Coffee with Some Edits Please

I LOVE taking photos!  I'm in the moment.  It's fast paced.  It's high energy.  It's raw.  All of my 8 cylinders are firing away!  Snap...Snap...Click...shish boom bang!


Then I'm done.


I go home.  Unload my gear.  Ahhhhhh...   Or maybe I drop my gear off and go meet up with my friends to unwind, eat, and review the day's events.


Huh? Wha...wait, hold your horses!  At this point, you're probably asking me "Wait, what about your pictures?  Aren't you going to look at what you got or didn't get?!!"  


Simply put...no.


I used to.  Don't get me wrong.  I would come home from a shoot, take out my cards, upload the images to my Mac, bite my nails as one by one they would come up, then start away on "editing".  Rifling through the images I thought were the best.  Setting them aside for later, future, editing and most likely pull up one that I wanted to work on right there and then.  And then maybe do another and so on.


It's taken me a couple of years to "allow" the procrastinator in me (yes I'm gonna admit it) to win.  I realized it after, every now and then, not getting the chance to run home and start working on what I had just shot.  When I finally had the chance to get to the files, sit down and look at them...I actually saw them with a fresh pair of eyes!  It gave me more...hindsight?  I wasn't just fresh off the shoot with that raw emotion I had while shooting.  I was more relaxed AND more focused.  I found that my end result looked and felt better because it was like looking at them again for the first time.


Sometimes, now, I kinda have to force myself to pull up my pics and sit down and start editing away.  But it helps when I'm relaxed and have my cup of coffee with me.  Happy Wednesday!  ;)




www.lafmilphotography.com
San Antonio photography

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for not forcing yourself to conform to somebody else's expectations!

    ReplyDelete